Subject: Re: Can objects be unloaded to save memory when rendering?
From: "Rob R." <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 00:55:32 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994, Brian C. Berg wrote:

> Hi... I'm not sure this is possible in Lightwave, so I thought I'd ask
> the group if anyone knows more.
> 
> In a scene that takes a lot of memory to render, it would be nice to be
> able to "unload" an object once it's past the camera and is no longer
> needed in the scene.  From what I can tell, though, once loaded an object
> is in the scene for good.
> 
> In a 500 frame animation, for example, if an object is only visible for
> the first 100 frames, it still takes up memory for the other 400 frames.
> If I set the polygon dissolve to 0%, will the render engine effectively
> ignore the object or does it still use it?
	
	Well, you can unload any object you want to, not automatically though.
After you have rendered out the first 100 frames, goto the Objects screen and
choose the object you want to remove; then just hit Clear Object.  You'll 
also want to go into the Images screen and remove any uneeded images as well. 
	I think by setting the object's disolve to 0% Lightwave will 
ignore the rendering of the object completely, but I don't think it will 
be any faster if it is already out of the camera's view, and its images 
will still take up RAM.  Could be wrong though, as I've never tested this.

	-Rob						[email-masked]

PS: Make sure you don't accidently save over the scene after you've 
       removed the object.  It's an easy and painful mistake to make, hehe.